To join the Ontario Autism Program (OAP) Provider List, applicants must demonstrate that they meet the following qualification requirements, as set by the Ministry of Children, Community and Social Services:
- One of the following professional designations:
- Board Certified Behavior Analyst® (BCBA®)
- Board Certified Behavior Analyst – Doctoral™ (BCBA-D™)
- Clinical Psychologist or Psychological Associate registered with the College of Psychologists of Ontario (CPO) with documented expertise in Applied Behaviour Analysis (ABA)(1)
- At least 3,000 hours post-certification/registration experience (typically completed over two years) delivering ABA services to children and youth with Autism Spectrum Disorder (including a minimum of 1,500 post-certification hours involving supervisory duties)(2). Examples of supervisory duties include:
- Developing new ABA programs and/or adjusting existing programs;
- Designing and implementing individualized behaviour intervention plans;
- Assessing a child’s skill level and training team members to teach the child skills;
- Conducting functional behavior assessments;
- Analyzing and interpreting data;
- Providing field supervision to front-line staff;
- Monitoring and evaluating the performance of front-line staff;
- Being available to give direction to caregivers and front-line staff by phone when there is an emergency or urgent need;
- Preparing and discussing progress reports with caregivers and staff;
- Leading staff meetings and training.
- Vulnerable sector check
- Professional liability insurance (purchased individually or through employer)
- Adherence to a professional code of conduct (e.g., Behavior Analyst Certification Board® Professional and Ethical Compliance Code, College of Psychologists of Ontario Standards of Professional Conduct)
For an interim period, families can continue to use their OAP Childhood Budgets to purchase behavioural services from a clinical supervisor who is not yet on the Provider List but is working towards the OAP’s qualification requirements. These clinical supervisors working towards qualifying for the Provider List will not be permitted to join the list until they have achieved all of the qualifications.
If you are a psychologist or psychological associate with ABA expertise, you are eligible to apply to the OAP Provider List. You do not need to obtain a BCBA or BCBA-D, however, you will need to a BCBA-D provide an "Applied Behaviour Analysis Expertise Package", which will confirm your ABA expertise. Details of what that package must include can be found here.
(1)Documentation demonstrating ABA expertise can include relevant certifications, transcripts, or syllabi showing that the individual has completed coursework and supervised training that is comparable to the requirements to sit for the BCBA®/BCBA-D™ examination. See the Behavior Analyst Certification Board® website for more information on examination requirements: https://www.bacb.com/bcba/bcba-requirements/
(2)Post-certification/registration means that the person obtained this experience after receiving his or her certification as a BCBA®/BCBA-D™ or after registering with the CPO. Experience obtained prior to certification or registration, such as practicum experience, or pre-certification field work hours, cannot be counted towards this total.